Parker has found a new passion for riding bikes...
I, also have shared in the enjoyment of his new hobby as we go on regular (after dark/heat) bike rides.
Our bikes were out of commission for, um, dare I say it... two years (gulp), so it was really our fault that he hadn't rode very often before now.
He was in Scouts one day and they mentioned they might do a 10 mile bike ride to fulfill a merit badge. Parker was in a bit of a panic because
1. his bike didn't have tires and
2. because he hadn't rode in 2 years and wasn't sure if he would make it 10 miles.
I assured him that he would remember how to ride - I mean, it's just like riding a bike... you never forget (sorry, couldn't resist)
So he started out just riding up and down our street - over and over and over again. He was building his confidance again so was ready to venture off our street. We've taken many late night rides around the block and the neighborhood. I actually enjoy, and look forward to, these outings with Parker. No matter how tired I am, I try not to say no.
Miranda has supported Parker in other ways... she will sit outside and keep him company while he rides on our street.
It's been fun to see Parker's excitement for bike riding again.
Now we just need to find a buddy that he can hang out and ride bikes with - just in case I can't make it from time to time.


3 Comments:
just wait until he starts jumping over ditches and popping wheelies. Steve used to give me nightmares. Glad he's getting some outside activity (you too). At least it should be cooling off some so it will be more enjoyable,
I have a bike that is sitting in my back yard. I've only ridden it around the yard...like a year ago though. Would love to get up to riding it.
so fun for you and Parker to have an activity to share.
I love this story I have read it several times,, I'm excited for Parker. He is having such a good time. I love Mirandas part in it too.
Post a Comment