Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Happy 19th Year to US!

Today Ryan and I celebrate our 19th Wedding Anniversary. I know I say it every year, but each year just keeps getting better and better! I'm so grateful to have found someone who loves and treasures me and our family.

The other night at dinner Miranda said they was talking with her friends about how their parents met, dated and proposed. She told that Ryan proposed to me at the St. George Temple, which is true, but I wanted her to know the WHOLE story (and help us sound more cool). So I pulled out my Wedding Book and continued to share our dating and engagement story....

We met in February 1990. We actually didn't start dating each other at first. I went to a dance with his friend and he went to the same dance with my friend. With the approval of our friends, we finally started talking and calling each other.
We would talk for HOURS at night. (little did I know this would lead to excessive cell phone use for Ryan).
Ryan left for an internship in March to Washington DC, so we continued our "long distance" relationship for the next 3 months while he was away. During that time we talked and talked even more. (I'm talking to Ryan while wearing a Sleep shirt he gave me that says "Someone in Georgetown Loves me) We sent packages and letters to each other too. (there wasn't email at that time).
When he returned in June, we knew we wanted to get married, but when?.....

On July 14, 1990, I went to visit Ryan at his work. He wasn't as excited as I thought he would be to see me. Come to find out, I was supposed to be home to receive a special delivery.

When I retrieved the package from the neighbors he had sent me 1/2 doz white roses and a giant pink envelope filled with the following....

I replied to his formal invitation by filling out the response card and putting it inside a giant balloon held by a stuffed panda bear.I ran to buy a new outfit and prepare for the evenings events.
When 5:30 rolled around I waited... and waited... and (I really should have had a clue about his promptness at this point) finally he showed up.

We went to La Tajada room for dinner (fancy schmancy) then on to St George. We went to John Taylor's home where he laid out a blanket, sparkling grape juice and had glasses decorated with ribbon and babies breath (yes, they have survived all 19 years)
It started to sprinkle a bit and so we packed up and headed to the Temple where we walked the grounds. We ended up at a gazebo where there was another couple inside. We waited for them to leave and took our place inside. Ryan ran back to the car and retrieved another 1/2 doz red roses and a tiny box. I had a feeling of what was coming and was so excited.
He went down on one knee and said the magic words... "Ginger, will you marry me?"

The rest as they say is history... (although we finished the evening with Nielson's Frozen Custard and a drive out to St. George Lookout point)
A lot has happened in the last 19 years, good, bad, happy, sad, but we're in it together, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

I LOVE YOU!

4 Comments:

Verlynn said...

Did you also tell them the cuff link story? That's about my favorite of all time. I've always been a it suspious of temple workers since then..
Dad was pretty romantic when we were dating also. Maybe it's something to do with Sept. weddings!

Nancie said...

I'm so sad and sorry that I forgot the important day yesterday Sept 22 1990 what a bummer. I was at my work place,, and of course did not remember until now as I opened up the blog. What a lovely blog you did It is amazing that 19 years have fled by.. I love you both so very much. And please forgive me.

Natalie said...

awwww, love the story. Mine isn't nearly as exciting. Congrats to both of you!

will and lori said...

Can we say 80's!!! Congrats, hopefully we'll still be here when you reach 30! And we have kids coming home from missions!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...