Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"Keep the Change"

When Ryan and I were first married, we started collecting our day to day leftover coins in a giant glass water bottle.  We would "borrow" from it from time to time in our poor law school years, but overall we just added and added.   I'm not sure how long it took us to fill it up, but I remember the kids "helped" by adding paper, toys and leftover bread (that is now petrified and we can't get it out)
This jar is soooo heavy that we don't move it too often and when we do, it's more like rolled around than carried.  We've always wondered about how much money would be in there.  Looking back, I wish we would have saved all silver.  Pennies might add color, but don't really add up as nicely as the silver. 
Since then we have just always saved our leftover coins.  We have jars scattered throughout the house, kitchen, laundry room, closets and in both cars.  We just empty our pockets and toss in the change. 
You might remember when we let Parker take all the pennies out of our jars and cash them in (HERE is the post if you need a reminder) I wanted him to do the BIG jar too, but Ryan got all sentimental on me and wouldn't let him.

Anywhoo, flash forward a year....our jars were overflowing again so Ryan decided to get an official coin sorter from Costco to sort and roll all the coins.  While the kids and I were in Disneyland, Ryan decided to try out his new gadget. 
And THIS is what he got out of all our jars (except the one in my car)
There is just over $750.00 here  $500 alone in quarters
CRAZY!!!
So now...what do we do with these?  Taking them to the bank ;-)
I'm still anxious to sort our huge jar, maybe we could just sort out the pennies and re-fill it with silver.

2 Comments:

Verlynn said...

That could pay for my DL pass for next year????? We do that also. I'm trying to get rid of all the Philippine coin now ..

Natalie said...

Holy Cow, that is awesome!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...