Wednesday, July 23, 2008

My Girls Camp Adventure

I've finally had a chance to get my photo's and video's uploaded from Girls Camp.
I had an excellent time this year. It was a total different experience attending as a Stake Leader instead of at Ward level.
I left early Tuesday morning (15th) to head up and decorate Miranda's campsite for her birthday. I also took up some cupcakes for the ward as a surprise. She was less than thrilled to say the least. She hiked up the hill when I showed up.
Later at flag, the entire girls camp group sang to her and gave her a fun hat to wear for the rest of the day.

She did manage to put on a smile when I asked her to take a picture with me.

Wednesday morning started at 5:30am for me as I went on the sunrise hike with the 3rd years and then the 6 mile hike with Miranda and the rest of the 2nd years.

Miranda was such a trooper and led our ward family the entire way!
Thursday was SKIT DAY!
Also the leaders had time to do the zipline.
It was sooo much fun. (yes, that is me in the video)

Each day right around noon, it rained for a couple hours.
Thursday it hit us the hardest and we had pea-sized hail!
Here's a sneak peek of what I saw peeking out of my tent.

We weren't sure if it would clear up enough for us to do our skits. But right on cue, the skies cleared enough for us to go on. Each ward was given a CD filled with a variety of music clips that they had to use as part of their skit. Miranda led our ward as she played Gavroche (from Le Mez) and the ward acted out "Peace amid the Conflict" skit.

I helped write the skit for the stake staff. It was about the latrine and the different ways girls approach them. It was pretty hilarious if I do say so myself.
Friday night is always the more spiritual program of the week. All of the Stake Presidency came up and Pres. Bingham did the fireside. We presented him with a mosaic of the Las Vegas Temple that the girls had helped make all week.

He's going to hang it in the Stake Presidency office in the church for everyone to see. Can you believe the lady in charge had never done anything like this before?!
Saturday was pack up and go home day. We were out of there by 11:00am so the next Stake could take over the campground.
I really had a wonderful week and enjoyed getting to know the other sisters on Stake Staff.
Miranda even warmed up to me by the end of the week. At first she would just give me a courtesy wave when passing, but then she would call me Mom and come give me a hug. Awwww. I have a feeling I might be invited to go again next year....better start drying out my shoes now!

2 Comments:

Verlynn said...

So glad that you had a good time. Am sure the other leaders (and girls) loved having you there.

Robyn said...

I love your blog and saved it in my favorites! It was so much fun getting to know you at camp and I'm glad you had a great time. I'll miss our duet dinner show days in the rain! You're the best!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...