Thursday, February 12, 2009

Watch out Kenny G

Parker has always been one to go in and out with phases. He'll be interested in one thing for a while and then it soon get replaces with something entirely different.
As a parent it's our job to determine which of his interests are going to stick and stay around a while. I'm not saying we always get it right, but I guess a kid needs to explore many areas (and pets) before deciding on what he's most interested in.

For a long while, Parker really wanted to learn to play the drums. He desperately wanted a drum set for Christmas a couple years ago. I'm not sure why he decided to become a drummer, perhaps because one of his friends was taking lessons. So we decided to take baby steps.... first an electronic Blue Man Group drum set. Not so huge that he couldn't fit in his room with it. Then we took him to Blue Man Group and he got drumsticks and a snare-top from the souvenir shop. We figured if he was truly into drums he would go crazy banging on this.
Well, the drumsticks and electronic drum set have found a home in the back of his closet. Parker does play a pretty mean drum on Rockband, but I think that's about as far as his drum interest goes. So when Parker told us he wanted to learn to play the Saxophone... we were a bit hesitant - really, do you blame us? We put off and politely ignored his requests to get an instrument for his birthday and Christmas. We thought if we ignored it long enough it just might go away and he would find a new interest..... we were wrong.
Every few weeks he would ask when he could get a saxophone so he could learn how to play before he started band in Middle School next year (valid point)
Since Ryan played the saxophone in High School he was kind of excited to have the opportunity to teach Parker about the sax, but wasn't sure if he wanted to invest in another fleeting interest.

Last Saturday I went to a store and next door I noticed a place that taught music lessons. On a whim I headed inside to get information about saxophone lessons and sales.
The next thing I know, I have Parker signed up for lessons and a rental is ordered.

Parker was soooo excited. Every day he gave us a countdown until his lessons.
FINALLY Wednesday came. We met his instructor Alex, and they headed back to begin.
When Parker came out he was grinning ear to ear. Alex said Parker did very well and to practice every day.
Well, Parker has taken that to heart and has practiced multiple times throughout the day.
Parker was excited to show us what he learned. I must admit he did a pretty good job.
(Yes, Ryan stole it from him to show him what the "Old Man" could do)
We're still in the "trial" phase with the saxophone. I only signed up for a month of lessons and the saxophone is rented - not purchased yet. He seems pretty determined to learn how to play so he can have a jump start before Middle School Band. Between his lessons and Ryan, I think he has a pretty good chance of succeeding!

**Note to self.... pick up earplugs from the store

1 Comment:

Verlynn said...

Go Parker
I have a clarinet if he wants to try his lips at another instrument.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...