I was hanging out online a couple weeks ago and saw a DIY project that I thought would fit perfectly in our kitchen. I told my idea to Ryan and we went out that day to see what our very local Lowes (one just opened down the street) had in stock. My idea is to cover our Kitchen island with beadboard and paint it black.
This is how our island looked before the project began...I really wanted to help Ryan and learn how to use a nail gun and how to cut the wood and trip pieces, but we never had enough time at home together to get it completed. Last weekend when I went to Arizona, I gave Ryan the green light to go ahead and work on it without my help (I'm sure he let out a huge sigh of relief)
When I came home it was all built out! He did an amazing job...it's quite handy to have a DIY hubby to help out! I'm always the caulker/finisher so I got to work and smoothed the edges and filled in the nail holes and taped it off so it was all ready to paint.The next day I had to run into the office so Miranda volunteered to paint the island while I was gone (sah-weet!) I picked up some paint that morning and had planned to get semi gloss, but the Lowes guy talked me into High Gloss paint. (I'm such a sucker).
So Miranda got to work painting the first coat.....By the time she had finished the first coat...I was a little nervous... it was super duper glossy shiny! I could almost see my reflection in the black gloss. I wasn't too sure if this was the sheen for me, but I was willing to give it a chance.....
However, it was a very short-lived chance and I went back to the store a couple hours later and bought a different sheen of paint... this time I got Satin. It was definitely more washable than flat or eggshell, but not as shiny as high or semi gloss.....Ryan didn't want it too shiny so I figured this was a happy medium... BUT....
When I put it over the top of the High Gloss black paint... the new Satin black paint looked grey...seriously...gray. I panicked and took both paints back to Lowes where, I'm sure, the paint guy was getting very sick of me by now. He talked me into putting one full coat over the high gloss saying it was just the sheen that made it look like it was grey next to the high gloss. So... I trusted his judgement and took it back and Miranda finished a full coat of Satin over the High Gloss....aaaaahhhh, much better....and it really did look black now.
And so here is the after....I really do like the color of the Satin black, but the verdict is still out on the sheen. It still feels, to me, a little too much on the flat side of the sheen family. BUT
Despite the paint sheen issue.... I LOVE LOVE how it turned out! Like I said before, it is so nice to have a DIY husband around. Although I still want to use the nail gun and miter saw so I have another project in mind that I would like to tackle soon....the laundry room!
Thursday, August 5, 2010
DIY - with family help
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 Comments:
Your island was pretty before, but that looks really cool with the black! You guys did a great job! It totally makes the counter top pop and makes the island the focal point of the room.
Very nice. I especially like the tail shot of Gus. I'm thinking semi-gloss... Can't wait to see the laundry room. I always thought it would be cool to have a nifty laundry center. Not too fond of the corner of the garage (with tools, grease, auto parts and such).
I think it looks very pretty, sometimes when you change things it takes a day or two to become used to it. It makes your room look up to date. It is a good accent.
Post a Comment