Monday, August 2, 2010

Farewell Audrey

My cousin Audrey, on my dad's side, passed away suddenly last week. Amber and I decided to make the trip to Taylor, AZ for the funeral. We left early Friday morning and headed out...little did we know what we were driving into....

About the time we were nearing Flagstaff, the sky started to look a little grey and a few sprinkles came down. Then, out of the blue (or should I say black) it started pounding!!! What? who checks the weather in July in AZ...I thought it was a desert like Vegas.

I gripped the wheel and took it slow and steady... this was our visibility on the road ...scary!
It came down like this for what seemed like forever, but it only lasted 3-5 minutes, then it would be clear... then it would pound again... then clear.. then finally we made it to Taylor. (It's a 6 hour drive from Vegas).


We arrived about an hour before the viewing so we checked into our hotel and rested for a bit. Suddenly, our phone rang and when we answered it the clerk asked if she could give our room number to someone named Merrivonne. We couldn't believe that our aunt Merrivonne found us! What... how.... come to find out they were staying in the same hotel and when they walked outside she saw my car that had "GINGR" plates from Nevada on a Ford vehicle. (my dad is a notoreous Ford lover) , Merrivonne just knew it had to be us even though she had no idea we were coming.

We met them again later at the mortuary for the viewing and while there a beautiful double rainbow appeared in the sky.... Everyone came outside to take pictures and see the beauty... Aunt Merrivonne told us how she used to sing a song called "Sing a Rainbow" to Audrey when she was little. Such a beautiful miracle to happen on this day for the family.

After the viewing Amber and I were able to go to dinner with Audrey's husband, Donovan and our Cousin Scott and Aunt Merrivonne and Uncle Art. We had a great visit and enjoyed getting re-aquainted with them again.

The next morning was the service at the church. It was so beautiful and Aunt Merrivonne gave a touching life sketch of Audrey's time on earth. Audrey was buried in a nearby cemitary and traveled there in a beautiful horse drawn hearse.

This is her husband Donovan and her son Jerritt (such a cutie)
Here is a few photo's from the funeral that I was able to capture

Following the graveside service we all gathered back at the church for lunch. I was able to corner everyone and get a few family photo's....

Aunt Susie, Uncle Monte and AmandaAunt Susie and MerrivonneCrazy as always!!!Donovan and Jerritt Gregg, Amanda and their darling kids

Aunt Merrivonne, Uncle Art, Gregg, Scott and little Jerritt

I'm so glad Amber and I were able to make the trip (rain and all) and see everyone. I don't see anyone from Dad's side of the family very often and I just love it when I do. They are so much fun to be with and I just love them to pieces.

We headed home shortly after the luncheon. We hit the same on and off downpour on the way home, but we made it safe and sound....despite my wiper blades falling apart...hey... we don't get much rain in Vegas!

5 Comments:

Kathleen said...

Ginger, it was wonderful to meet you and Amber. Thanks for chronicling our experience we shared. I think we must have been going through Flagstaff at the same time, but we would have never known it even if we had known you then - we couldn't seen anything but the lights of the car ahead, as long as it wasn't very far ahead. Thanks again for the blog.

Merrivonne said...

Thank you Ginger. It was such a pleasure to have you and Amber with us to share the celebration of Audrey's life. Whether you know it or not, She loved you and was so impressed with all of your talents. She always looked forward to a Christmas card from you. She really wanted to get with me to work with the Cricut. We never could though. Thanks for being the inspiration for so many. I love you.

Verlynn said...

Thanks GINGR! I feel like we didn't miss as much now. Amber agreed with your assessment of the trip and was glad she was with you. Thanks for supporting Dad's family.

crooksville said...

What a wonderful experience! Two generations of Smith Sisters across the table from each other. Now that was a blessing! I couldn't get over just how gorgeous Ginger and Amber were, and the "family" resemblence between them and Merrivonne and Susie. It was a remarkable time of knitting and knowing family.

And, now, we have this fantastic blog entry to help remember it all. Great pics and music, Ginger! Thanks so much. Susie, Amanda, and I have only one more request. Let's plan on seeing each other much sooner, and more often! OK?

E-see ya soon. Thanks, again, for being there!

Natalie said...

Thanks so much for posting this Ging. I wish I could have arranged things to be able to come with you. I enjoyed messaging Audry and talking to her about recipes and scrapbooking. I hope to visit with Merrivonne, Art, Susie, Monte and Amanda soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...