Monday, May 18, 2009

Sink or float?

Parker had an assignment in art class to create something....anything out of a water jug.
He first had to come up with an idea and get it approved by the teacher.
Here is his original sketch
The teacher approved his idea and was anxious to see how he was going to get it from rolling over in the water. Originally, the assignment was to paper mache' the jug, but Parker wanted his boat to actually float so he paper mache'd the jug at school, then took it all off at home.

Parker knew exactly what he wanted to use for materials he just needed a little assistance with how to get it to work.

We cut the jug in half, (I cut out the wrong side according to the sketch) set the PVC pipes in place with florist clay.... but then what?
Then Ryan had a wild idea to use insulation foam to fill the inside with and set the pipes in place. This would also give it enough weight so it wouldn't roll over in the water.

Since I keep everything... I actually had some spray foam on hand and the project was well on it's way. After filling the jug with foam, we let it sit overnight to set up.
In the morning we awoke to a big surprise... the foam had crept up through the PVC pipes and created smoke! It was a little too much smoke for Parker's taste, so we cut it off and just kept the tips to attach later for smoke.

Parker got right to work painting and preparing the boat


(notice Gus and Sophie fighting in the background... he he)I helped out with the "wood" floor made out of paper, and we even added a railing all around the boat. (That was Parker's favorite part)
Soon it was finished and it looked amazing... even better than the original sketch if I do say so myself.

But now the moment of truth.... would it sink, or float????IT FLOATS!!!Parker was pretty happy with the way it turned out and I'm sure he got an excellent grade for all his hard work.

1 Comment:

Verlynn said...

So clever! Another MacGuyver in the making.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...