70 degrees that is! I just love it when the thermometer sneaks above the 70 degree mark!
I'm ok with the 60's but give me some warm 70+ degree weather and I'm a happy camper.
Today we took advantage of the beautiful spring weather and went 4-Wheeling!
I couldn't believe Ryan was willing (and able) to play hookie from work today.
After packing snacks, lunch food, dragging Miranda off the computer and loading the ATV's we were ready to roll....
We went to Cold Creek - (just 30 minutes north of us).
The kids weren't quite as excited as Gus was that we were going, but I knew they would LOVE it!.
D(on't let Parker's smile fool you...he's just doing that for the camera)

As we were driving to the drop off spot, I noticed the temperature reading in the truck was 55 degrees and DROPPING. I was nervous that I was going to be freezing and spoil the fun for everyone.... luckily I brought 2 sweatshirts, gloves and a hat (which I wore all but the hat the entire time).
When we got there, Ryan unloaded the 4 wheelers and Parker took off on one of them showing off his new doughnut spinning skills (scary)
We took off down the trail in caravan, Gus in the lead (well, when he stayed on the road)....Parker and Ryan on one 4 wheeler, Miranda on another and me bringing up the rear on the Rhino. I like being in the back so I can keep an eye on everyone!
We drove for a bit until we found a fun clearing. We set up for our picnic while the kids (and Gus) explored the hills and nearby stream. I couldn't believe the snow on the mountain. I felt like we were in Utah! (notice the excitement in Miranda's face that I'm taking another picture)
(That commercial of the cruise line comes to mind where they are looking for that endangered thing called a smile on their children's faces)
After a bit of relaxing and lunch The kids spotted a cave up the hill and decided to hike up to it. I figured I was up to a little work out myself so I followed after them. Ryan just felt guilty for not going so he came along too! Gus went up and down the hill about 20 times by the time we reached the cave that was 1/2 way up the hill. ( Nope...no smile yet for Miranda)
Since we were already 1/2 way up the hill, we decided to go all the way (much to Parker's dismay) Miranda took right off and beat us all up there.
We're the King of the World! (Well, Parker might be the prince he wasn't happy that we made him hike to the top)
Could it be....an actual smile from Miranda...nope, it was just a forced one to make mom happy!
(Look at that snow and our 4-wheelers waaaaaay down there)
We cruised up the trail for a bit longer almost to the summit, but it was getting a bit colder and more windy. On the way back to the truck, Parker took off on the 4wheeler by himself. He was getting very brave and kept standing up while driving. (sorry all the photo's are from behind, but remember I was bringing up the rear)
Once back to the truck, Ryan started loading the ATV's back on the trailer when the kids noticed wild horses. They slowly walked closer to them to get a better look. I trailed behind to get some pics and to keep an eye on them.
One of the Stallions stopped eating and started staring at the kids moving towards THEM. I told them to start SLOWLY walking away. I don't think we could outrun a wild horse. Then Ryan told Miranda to go toss them some of our baby carrots. They were probably this close because they were just hungry. Great idea dad...NOT!
Miranda walked back over to the horses and started throwing carrots towards them. One of them started eating them and walking closer toward Miranda (Miranda can only throw carrots so far).
Yikes, it was like Hansel and Gretel leaving a trail of bread crumbs. Two of the horses started following Miranda and I back toward the trailer eating the carrots as they went.
Ryan thought the white one looked pregnant. We kept our distance, but stayed and watched them for a while. We ran out of carrots and didn't have much else Horses would like except a couple granola bars. One of them got so close to Miranda she could have touched it.
They turned out to be fairly mild mannered horses. Not sure if anyone owned them or not.
On the way home, the kids had more genuine smiles on their faces. I think they actually had a fun time. I know I did....It was a wonderful Spring day!
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
70's and lovin' Spring!
at
9:46 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 Comments:
Looks like fun. Glad Ryan took a break.
Sounds like fun...love those fun uninterrupted (good weather) family outings. I'm sure Miranda will smile in 10 years when she looks back at her "I can't admit this is fun" face.
Post a Comment