Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Hard Day's Work

Parker has MANY needs/wants for a 10 year old. The problem is, he doesn't always have money to purchase these items. Any money he gets for Christmas or his birthday are spent within a couple months.
He decided he needed the Indiana Jones Journal and found it online at Target for $20. He had a $15 gift card to use there plus $5 extra. We went to 3 different Target stores but none of them carried this book (must just be an online item). So he decided he could earn the extra money and buy it at Barns & Noble for $25.
Our hourly fee for extra chores is $5/hr. So he decided to do 2 hours of chores so he would have enough for tax and tithing.
Like the time before, he was very dedicated to the chores and filled the entire 2 hours (with little dips in the pool to cool off) cleaning out the pool toy box, picking up trash around the yard, gathering items for DI and scrubbing out the recycle bins.


He was very excited to purchase the new book and is now devouring every word and image it contains.


I'm all about teaching him about working hard and earning the things he wants. He was very proud that he worked hard for the book. When Ryan suggested other jobs he could do this morning, he said, "I don't need any money right now, there's nothing I want at the moment."
I'd better start forming another job list soon, because I'm sure it won't be long before something comes up for him to need money for again.

2 Comments:

Verlynn said...

Can I come and do odd jobs next time I need some extra money? I won't even take pool breaks.

Natalie said...

That's too funny about him not needing any more money because he doesn't want anything. It's good he's a trooper though when he does them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...