What a fun weekend the kids and I had camping with my family at Duck Creek. After an hour of deliberation, Miranda decided to join us leaving Ryan a bachelor at home. Miranda and I arrived on the mountain just before dark so we could set up our tent. I swear the tent seemed larger the last time we used it. Miranda and I shared our tent while Parker bunked with his cousin Josh.
I'm not sure if everyone went camping for fresh air or to have a quiet vacation to read Breaking Dawn. Seems like everywhere I turned someone was reading or relaxing.
I suppose that is what you're supposed to do on vacation,( I did finish Breaking Dawnmyself) but I was getting a bit stir crazy sitting around the campground, so I talked my brother Logan into going with me and the kids to Mammoth Caves. Usually we venture into the large cave that you can stand up in the entire way, but the only way Logan would go is if I promised to do the smaller (crawl on your stomach only) caves. I hadn't explored these caves since I was a teenager, but I agreed...I'm always up for an adventure.
Unfortunately I forgot to take my camera into the caves and didn't realize it until I was half way through. But I promise I did do it!
I had a lady take our picture, but forgot to tell her to center us in the photo.
The next day it rained off and on all day, so didn't do much hiking. Logan and I were remembering the good old days of catching tadpoles and frogs by the creek. So we decided to give it a go. We loaded up the kids and headed for the stream by Duck Creek. The grass was nice and tall and wet. After a brief hunting lesson from Logan, everyone headed out in search of frogs. We found quite a few and Parker was able to catch his first frog!
Everyone found and caught at least one (even me ;)


Miranda and my mom weren't too into the hunting, but enjoyed being out and about.
We didn't do any fishing, but enjoyed being by the water.
We walked around Duck Creek and to the upper stream. When we came around the path we saw three deer. They didn't mind us being there. They just continued on with their eating. One of them was a nice little buck in the velvet.
We ended the trip with a rousing game of Hand and Foot that lasted well into the last night. The food was amazing as usual. My parents are the master chefs of the dutch oven. My mom is an incredible menu planner and there is never a lack of good things to eat. I'm so glad my brother was willing to be my partner in crime on our little outings.
I missed Ryan a ton and hope he'll be able to go with me the next time we go camping. We've been toying with getting a trailer. The urge always seems to get stronger in the summer and around hunting time. I think that could get me to camp more often. Don't get me wrong, I love the outdoors, but I think I enjoy the comforts of home (like showers) way too much!
Friday, August 8, 2008
Ahhh...the great outdoors
at
4:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 Comments:
It's about time you posted this stuff. I love camping too..would have loved to gone to the caves with you, but too much hassle with little ones.
Glad to see you back in the blogging spirit. You must have been up all night to get everything caught up. Even with my aches, I enjoyed camping this year. Was kinda hard to relax completely with the health and employment issues but I think we managed pretty well! Loved the heart attack on a bun at the village.
I am sad that I missed the event. One of these years, we need to bag Duck Creek camping and go great northwest camping. There are so many campgrounds with lakes that rent paddle boats, canoes, swimming, fishing and so much more. The trees are probably taller here too!!!
Post a Comment