Monday, August 17, 2009

Night Owl vs. Early Bird

This is me.... a Night Owl!

I don't get it.. I'm tired, the bed is totally calling my name, yet here I am.... AWAKE! Why do I fight it?

Tonight I had an excuse because I stayed up to wait for Ryan to call and let me know he arrived safely in Edmonton. I swore I was going to go to bed just as soon as he called, (he called at 10:45pm) but then I started cleaning my craft room, and talking to my sister, and writing a poem for Bad Poetry Day tomorrow (don't ask) and then I sat down to blog about being awake. (seriously... what is wrong with this situation?)

I know exactly who to blame for my condition ... it's from my mom's side of the family. I come from a long line of Night Owls. My mom is one, all her siblings are Night owls, ....my grandma wrote the book on being a Night Owl! Growing up I was always around night owls!

Poor Ryan is so NOT a Night Owl. We are so opposite in that area... he's definitely an Early Bird.

He tries to stay awake just so I don't feel bad that he went to bed, but then he ends up falling asleep on the chair. I want to get up early, but my body just rebels against me.

So here I am struggling between being a Night Owl or an Early Bird.

Sometimes I'm productive and get a lot accomplished at night, but other times I'm just veggin' on the computer. I also go in spurts. I'm much better at going to bed during the school year, but you can just forget about going to bed in the Summer.

Next week school will start and I'll be waking up at 5am to help get Miranda ready for school and seminary. I hope I will overcome my urge to be a night owl soon and make a smooth transition into being an Early Bird.

If I'm a little grouchy or always napping, you'll know I tried to combine the two species, and I can tell you from experience... that just NEVER works out!

7 Comments:

Xackery said...

my sleeping habits are directly proportional to my obligations.
and I am trying to call you back! Maybe email me at xackery@gmail.com instead, faster response

Verlynn said...

Let me tell you, being a night owl in the Philippines really sucks. I so wish I could be more like your Dad. He just stops, drops and snores! Sorry about the genetic defect! Blame Granny, I do.

D said...

I totally remember you having NOS (Night Owl Syndrome)! When I worked for Sander's your Granny always woke up late telling us how late she went to bed the night before :) Mike and I are the same way- he is drifting to sleep before his head even hits the pillow and my deepest sleep is in the early morning hours when he is awake. Good luck with those early mornings about to come your way!

stampinjul said...

Amen, Sister! Maybe we need to start a NOA group (night owls annon.) I'm tired just talking about it.
Julie D.

Sommer said...

I was a night owl too last night! Couldn't sleep to save my life. Maybe something's in the air!

Natalie said...

Yeah, I was up late too. Mostly because Melody was up. I'm all fine and dandy staying up late, but don't want the kids up with me.

Nancie said...

Hey,, I totally know about Ryan and his shut eye at a early hour.. but you must remember he's been up or at least awake since 4:00 am. Its been that way since he was a little boy. I guess he thinks the early bird does get the worm. And I suppose he thinks about the old saying,, "early to bed early to rise makes a man healthy wealthy and wise. So he keeps trying.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...