Saturday, April 12, 2008

Lions, and Zebra's and Bears OH MY!

OK, I know I had a topic similar to this a few days ago, but I just couldn't resist!
Most everyone knows that Ryan is a big game hunter. He uses hunting to relieve some of the stress from work. (see previous post). So to tell this story I must go back a few years....
In December 2004 we received a phone call at 3:00 AM. (yes you read that right...AM!)
Now usually when someone calls you at 3am there is some sort of emergency. So when we were abruptly awoke by the telephone my heart was pounding. I could hear Ryan's end of the conversation saying, "You're kidding!" and "Where?" and "I'll be right there".
Again my heart was pounding as I was picturing someone in a car accident or something.
He jumped out of bed and started getting dressed. I asked...."what happened?"
He responded.... "Tracy's dogs are on the trail of a lion and he's wants me to come" (Tracy was our bishop and avid hunter/tracker)
Uggghhh! I couldn't believe that THIS was our emergency that woke me up at 3 in the blessed AM!
Well, I went back to sleep and Ryan took off. As I was getting the kids ready for school, Ryan drives up toting a ginormous Mountain Lion. The kids were so excited.
Here's Ryan in the Mountains with Tracy's dogs.
He skinned the lion himself right in our backyard. It was sooooo disgusting! After he skinned it he had to get the hide ready for tanning. So he draped it over our back wall and sprayed it with the power hose. Ewwwww....fat was flying all over the place. Our dog, Gus, couldn't eat it fast enough. It was the grossest thing EVER! Once it was cleaned out he wrapped it up in a garbage bag and put it in our freezer. It was there for quite a while until he decided how he wanted to mount it and take it to the taxidermist. I don't remember how long it was in the freezer, but I do know I got the heebie jeebies every time I had to get something out of there.
So now....the moral of my story..... Yesterday Ryan picked up this Mountain Lion from the Taxidermist and it is now displayed prominently on the Trophy wall in the casita.
I have to admit...it looks pretty good. It's a bit freaky when you stand underneath this thing with it glaring down at you.
Just thought I'd post a few more photos of his Trophy's. I decorated the Casita with the sole purpose of creating a home for these beautiful creatures. Ryan has more animals coming from Africa soon. They include a Leopard and Cape Buffalo. These things are HUGE. Ryan has big plans to add on to the Casita in order to house all these trophys. I'm all for that....anything to avoid them being in the house.
Oh, about the part in the title with the Bears. Ryan might be going to Alaska in a couple weeks to go on a bear hunt. He's still trying to decide if he has the time to be away from the office.

4 Comments:

Verlynn said...

You can always hope he doesn't bag a bear.. The casita will soon be larger than the house to hold everything.

Natalie said...

I love the mountain lion. I wouldn't want it in my house, but it's really neat looking.

Debbie Freeman said...

Bailee's eyes are HUGE just loving and oogling (sp?) at all the pictures in this post. She just said, "Why didn't you ever tell me you have such amazingly cool friends?!?!" We will have to get some tickets to come tour your museum. :)

Tony said...

This is my type of BLOG! They all look so good. I just have one question are you sure "Ryan" really got all these. I've heard his stories and he is from Cedar. HAHA Gotta love the Cedar BOYZ!

Tell Ryan I said Hello.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...