Weeks ago Parker started on a quest to earn money for a new computer game, Spore. He asked what he could do to earn the money so I suggested he refinish our outdoor benches. He willingly agreed and he and Brecken began the task.
They started by sanding the wood with an electric sander. They really liked that part a lot. They listened to music and sang along while they worked. A few days later they prepped the iron for spray painting. Not as much fun as using the electric sander.
The next step was taping off the wood and spray painting the iron. Parker and Brecken spent a lot of time taping off all the wood. One time when I went out to check on their progress, Parker was tearing the tape into tiny strips to cover the tiny spots inside the iron. I suggested he use an exacto-knife to cut away a larger piece of tape. He was so bummed he didn't have that suggestion earlier.
A few days passed and Brecken wasn't able to come over to finish the project, so Parker stained and clear coated by himself. I did a fair share of supervising, but he did the lions share himself. I think Parker had a good time doing this project, and he is now enjoying the reward of a job well done. (and I'm enjoying brand new benches)
He has played his new game non-stop since it was installed yesterday. I'm glad that he's not afraid to work for the things he wants. I better start thinking of another project for him to complete (just in case).
Saturday, September 27, 2008
Spore-iffic job
at
12:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 Comments:
Benches look great. Good Job Park! (and Brecken).
Those benches really do look good. Parker did an awesome job. Very much worth the money I'm sure!!
Post a Comment