Today at Parker's school they had Solar Power Hour!
They turned off all the lights inside the school and the classes went outside to "cook" hot dogs or s'mores using only the sun. Parker's class made S'mores. Miranda and I went in to help out.
Some kids used glass containers other's used metal cookie sheets and others just put them on foil. The results were pretty much the same. The large marshmallows were just too big to melt in the sun, the mini mallows did much better. The chocolate, however, had no problem melting in the 85 degree weather no matter what method they used. There could have been different results if they had started the marshmallows first then added chocolate later. The mallows definitely take longer to soften than the chocolate. The kids weren't too patient.. once the chocolate was melted they just wanted to eat it.
Who needs campfires when you've got the sunshine, and we're definitely not lacking that in Vegas. What a fun backyard activity to do this summer when the kids complain they are bored! I hear Peanut Butter cups are a great substitute for chocolate bars too! Hummm....might have to do some experimenting myself.
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
S'More Fun
at
10:01 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 Comments:
Glad it worked into a fun activity for the kids. I have a feeling that Dad will be playing with some of his ideas this summer.
I always made smores with my kindergarteners. Melted chocolate and 5 years olds. I'm sure you've got the picture. Hey, you've been tagged! Check out my blog!
Post a Comment