Thursday, May 29, 2008

Spare the rod....

Spoil the Child....I think that's how the saying goes.
In case you haven't heard (or received a text)
Parker now has his own cell phone.
Now I don't want anyone to think that we spoil our children for no reason.
We have a very good reason for doing it this time.
Let me back up a bit to one year ago when we found out that Parker received 100% score in Math and Reading in the CRT tests at school. We were so proud of him that we let him pick out a lizard that he had been wanting. (I need to post a current picture of Godzilla...oh I mean Clev)

Well, yesterday I received another call from his principal telling us that he received another 100% score in the Math portion of this year's CRT test. He was one of 5 out of 170 students. So not wanting to break tradition....we gave in to Parker's 6+ months plea of wanting a cell phone. "But mom, Everyone has one". Or the time I thought the carpool was picking up Parker from school, but they picked their kids up early. When I found Parker, already walking home...he said, "See, that's why I need a cell phone".
Ryan and I have held pretty strong through the past few months, but just between us, we were about ready to give in anyway. So when we heard the news of his wonderful test scores, we caved!
Parker is so excited and has been texting his buddies that have phones non-stop. Good thing we have unlimited texting. He even sent me a text last night after he went up to bed to tell me goodnight. Ahhh ...nothing like technology to bring a family together. LOL
Ryan has been VERY clear about not wasting minutes by calling friends when he's at home. He does have permission to call anyone on the Verizon plan all he wants (so look out everyone)
When Parker showed up with a new phone, we thought Miranda would want to get one herself. She has a hand-me-down of Ryans (from a couple phones back). But we were wrong. She wants nothing to do with a new phone. She likes her "vintage" one just fine. (her words not mine).
Miranda rarely uses her phone, and never seems to take it when she may actually need it. One time Ryan gave her a hard time because she only used 2 minutes that month. Such a rare breed indeed!
So yes, there are times we spoil our children, but they are both such wonderful students and really don't ever give us too much trouble, so a little spoiling once in a while can't hurt. TTFN

3 Comments:

Verlynn said...

Now you'll have to learn a new language. C U later.

Debbie Freeman said...

Tel Parker congrats on the scores!! That is awesome! CU2morrow :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think there is anything wrong with acknowledging an accomplishment that is truely special. It helps them to see how important hard work is.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...